Led panels switch on

• Is there anyone suggesting any explanation why, after setting up the preprogrammed led arrays, we're not able to switch them on, and we have to switch off the power supply because the connection cable to the panel system is increasingly going heat ?
    It seems to me that somewhere there's a huge resistance to the ingoing current, but I'm not able to find any kind of this with the tester.
    In any case, without any attempt to program them, should all leds turn on ? (I should think so)

Thanks for your suggestions about this troubleshooting

AM

• You will definitely need to program the panels for them function properly. Did you order them pre-programmed? Without programming they won't have any firmware at all. The panels won't display anything without programming. If they are programmed the panel address will be displayed on power up. Regardless of whether or not the panels are programmed nothing should be getting excessively warm.

I would recommend removing all panels from the arena to prevent damage until the issue is resolved. Also, remove the DB9 cable connecting the panels to the controller. This just leaves the arena and the arena power supply.

Which cable is heating up - the 5V power cable to the arena power supply or the DB9 cable?

After removing the panels and disconnecting the DB9 cable does anything get warm when you switch on power to the arena?

• Hi dear Will,
    I’m sorry for late response. After some checkings we have found that the 5DIN cable was connected to the power supply in a wrong way. Anyway we have another tricky problem in the panel boards programming. As previously mentioned we have bought the pre-programmed and addressed FlyPanels-G3 but once mounted the arena we have encountered some problems in controlling the panel pattern (i.e., some led are on with a seemingly random pattern and of these led we could only turn on and off the BUS0 of the arena through PControl). Thus we have thought to program the panel boards from scratch in order to obtain an updated bootloader/firmware. However, once fixed panels board (board+led panel) on the ISP expansion board, powered the circuit via controller and connected the programming device to the 6 pin header (Olimex Ltd, AVRISP mkII) we are not able to read the ATmega168 by mean of the Atmel Studio 7 in the Device programming window.

This is the error display:

[ERROR] Failed to enter programming mode. ispEnterProgMode: Error status received: Got 0xc0, expected 0x00, ModuleName: TCF (TCF command: Device:startSession failed.)

Do you have any advice to solve our problem?
    P.s: We have already tried to change the ISP clock frequency without successful.

Thank you very much!

• @amegighi The arena configuration on the SD card is important. The panels must be on the same physical bus on the arena as is assigned in the arena configuration on the SD card. The arenas have four buses. How the buses are assigned to the arena quadrants is set using the jumpers on the arena. The jumpers can be set so that the whole arena is on BUS0 or so that each quadrant has its own bus e.g BUS0, BUS1, BUS2, BUS3. Note, there must be jumper on the JP13 -JP8 headers or buses will not be assigned to the arena quadrants.

I'm haven't used the Olimex programmer with AVR Studio 7. You might want to check that debugWire is disabled e.g. "AVR STUDIO -> DEBUG -> disable debugWIRE".

Also, if you want to try programming using avrdude on linux I have some scripts for doing this here https://bitbucket.org/iorodeo/panels_prog_avrdude/src

For reading fuses see the "read_fuses/read_fuses" script.

For programming the panels there are scripts in "program/basic" and "program/autonumber".

The script "program_panel" in "program/basic" is just a shell script which programs the panels and sets the address - given in hex on the command line.

The script in "program_panel.py" in "program/autonumber" is a python program for programming a batch of panels on the command line. This is probably the program to use if you are programming a lot of panels. It automatically keeps track of address numbers starting from 1 (or a user specified value) up to 127. You can also go back and redo a number etc. Should be pretty obvious when you run it or by looking at the source - it is only 130 lines. It is setup to use the avrispmkII but can also use the stk500.

• Hi again @Will-Dickson, you are very helpful! Thanks for your kindness!
    We have fixed the microcontroller reading problems, actually the Olimex programmer have a 6 pin cable but it is in PDI configuration and not in ICSP. Thus, with an adapter from the existing 10 pin ICSP cable to the 6 pin we have solved it. Now, we have reprogrammed some panels with Atmel Studio 7 according to the Quick Start procedure but at the end the panels don’t display the default address “127”. Our panels display a weird pattern of only 5 led turned on. At this point we don’t know if it is normal or maybe if we have damaged the microcontrollers. We have not tried yet to program through AVRDUDE but likely it will not change because the programming process was gone fine in Atmel Studio 7 apart from the final result.
    Thanks a lot again for any suggestions

• @amegighi Is it possible that the orientation of the LED matrix is incorrect? Did you try rotating it by 180 deg?

• Oh gosh, you are right! I’m sorry for the delay but I was very busy. I have never thought to rotate the LED matrix because I thought I was right with that (otherwise, if not, no LED would have turned on). Thanks very much! I also take advantage of you for another issue. I have tried to load the arena configuration on the SD card but PControl doesn’t let me do that. Have you any suggestion? It seems that the controller doesn’t communicate to the SD nevertheless at the beginning (when the controller is switch on) PControl finds and initializes the SD card. I’m sorry because of all these questions!