New potentiostat questions

• @Will-Dickson I was considering purchasing the cheapstat until I saw a few forum posts stating that its current limits are lower than what I need - for cyclic voltammetry with prussian blue as the working electrode - and it doesn't seem like there 's an easy way to change its range. Now though, the one you've posted a few weeks ago here (Low current measurements for Cheapstat looks promising, and it would be awesome if you let us know more about it. Do you have any further details on its specifications and launch date?

• @SpellMirror20

By default the new potentiostat has +/- 1, 10, 100, 1000 uA current ranges (16-bit ADC) and +/- 1, 2, 5, 10 V output ranges (12-bit DAC). Other ranges are possible by changing a resistor (and possibly capacitor) on the PCB - up to a max of around 20mA.

The new design is based around the teensy 3.2 development board https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensy31.html The idea is to make it an easy system for users (and us) to program and extend. Because it is based on the teensy 3.2 it can be programmed using the Arduino IDE with Teensyduino Add On https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html.

We are currently developing a programming library and reference firmware for the new Potentiostat. These will be available when we first launch the device. Currently implemented tests include: cyclic voltammetry, sinusoidal voltammetry, constant voltage, linear sweep, and chronoamperometry.

The new potentiostat is controlled over USB. So all test parameters are set/retrieved and all tests initiated/stopped over USB. Also, data is streamed to the host PC, as it is acquired, over USB during tests. Because of this test duration is not limited by the MCU memory.

We should have the firmware ready fairly shortly. While I can't put an exact date on this I'm hoping we will have it ready by early March. Once the firmware is ready we will add the new potentiostat as a product on our website.

At launch we won't have software for the host PC with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) etc. This is definitely something we are actively developing, but it won't be ready right away. We will have a serial library (Python/pySerial) for controlling the device along with example programs demonstrating how to set/get parameters, start trials, receive data, etc.

Also, all hardware designs, firmware, and software will be open source. I will be making these available soon.