Installing the Multiplexer Expansion Board

• Hello! I'm very new with Rodeostat, but I'm interested in connecting my newly purchased multiplexer expansion board to my existing Rodeostat. I already checked out the hardware guide and getting started guide. I'm a bit confused, though, in one part of the "Getting Started Guide": that is, how to connect the +/-12V power on the multiplexer to the Rodeostat since my Rodeostat indicates +/- 15 V on its board and has no pre-installed pins. Is my Rodeostat compatible with the multiplexer? Or what modifications would you recommend so I could install the multiplexer expansion board?

Thanks!

• @bucoloco

Yes, you can connect the +/-15V on the rodeostat to the +/-12V on the multiplexer.

Earlier revisions of the Rodeostat used a +/-15V DC-DC converter to provide the power rails for the op amps on the Rodeostat. Whereas, more recent revisions us a +/-12V DC-DC converter. The multiplexer is labeled to match the more recent versions of the Rodeostat. However, the multiplexer will operate fine on +/-15V.

• yes, it definetely it is compatible

• A multiplexer is a system of multiple inputs and just one output to receive signals coming from multiple acquisition networks. The device transfers all input signals to a microprocessor, which receives and processes the data, transmits it to the output devices, and controls the system as a whole.

With multiplexing, a measuring system is able to sequentially channel multiple signals to a single digital converter, thereby providing a low-cost means of increasing the number of channels of the system. A multiplexer consists of a set of switches and provides a significant cost reduction by making use of just one A/D converter for multiple inputs. As such, a multiplexer may be considered a circuit or device that makes it possible to share the available capacity of a single connection between multiple transmission channels.

By way of selector pins, one and only one input is allowed to communicate with the only output. The control unit scans all inputs in sequence and reads them at a speed that respects the sampling theorem for the given signal.

In essence, multiplexers are used to increase the quantity of data that can be transmitted over a network with a given bandwidth over a given period of time.