White transilluminator

• Hi,
    my question is about the right DNA dye that can be use with your new white LED light box. Probably the standard GreenView because its extinction of the blue component of white light, but I am not sure. The other question is the sensitivity. If the UV/Blue light box with amber filter provide better contrast at the same DNA concentration, then could be a better option... Thanks.

• Hi,
    We used the white light transilluminator with this Biotium DNAzure blue DNA stain:
    https://biotium.com/product/dnazure-blue-nucleic-acid-gel-stain/

I could imagine that this combination would work well in, for example, a classroom or educational setting as it doesn't require a dark room. I also did like that you can dry the gels and keep them which might be handy.

Other uses for the white light box might be for imaging Coomassie stained gels, for example.

However, I would recommend using the blue LED transilluminator for dyes such as GreenView, SYBRSafe etc.

At this time I haven't carried out a comparison of the sensitivity of the two dyes and transilluminators. You can find more information on the sensitivity of DNAzure on the Biotium link above.

I hope that helps !
    Jo

• Hi,

Yes, I've got a lot of help, so ... thank so much :)

As I've seen on the given weblink, the DNAzure stain is sensitive enough, but after the electrophoretic run need the stained gel a strong (and possibly blue ) illumination to make lanes visible ( e.g. with IORodeo blue transilluminator :) ), so 1 plus for blue illuminator. If I buy a blue transilluminator ( what as I've seen, it is fully optical and size compatible with the IORodeo electrophoresis equipment), cheaper option to buy a UV/blue fluorescent dye and use them together. DNAzure sexy, but a bit more expensive, and needs sg. extra place and money( to buy and store at least a strong blue-rich light source or a blue transillum. to develop a visible lanes). At this time me looks better ( and if I summarize that cheaper) option to buy a blue TI plus blue sensitive GreenView stain.... but if the development of DNA stains keeps so quick, maybe few months later comes something one-step stain, that needs no extra developing process to make lanes visible, and then become the white illuminator better choice ... who knows... :)

Thanks again

SF