Hi IO Rodeo folks

• I'm Greg, cofounded PhotosynQ.org 5 years ago and since left to create Our-Sci.net. Personally, my job is as Open Technology Advocate - including software, hardware, and data. I saw your work a while back (a year or two) thought it was cool, but the stuff you've done recently with the potentiostat is awesome. Had many similar ideas, but man you're knocking it out of the park and it's all open source. Amazing work!

So, a few things:

1. I help organize the Gathering for Open Science Hardware (GOSH). 2018 will be the third gathering (this year in Shenzhen) and you'd be an amazing participant, I'm kind of surprised you didn't come before, your work fits perfectly into goals of the broader movement. So yeah, go to openhardware.science and check it out. We just finished our Roadmap, which helps us figure out how to make open science hardware ubiquitous (big goal, but the roadmap has some nice baby steps to get us closer :). Also, there's tons of good discussion and links at forum.openhardware.science, I'd love to have your voices there as well so please go check it out!

2. I'm building a small lab, with the Bionutrient Food Association, to measure soil and food quality. The goal of the lab is to be have sufficient throughput and variety of samples to establish otherwise hard-to-identify connections between soil health, food quality, and (in the long term) human health. I'm building our lab protocols now, and am looking for that sweet spot of cheap/fast/information-rich measurements to apply to each sample as it comes in. We build low-cost handheld sensors in the UV/VIS/NIR range, and our strategy is to identify cases where the easy-to-get reflectance values will correlate to more expensive lab measurements. For example, we can reasonably accurately identify (r2 of .7 - .8) total organic carbon in soils using a reference database of soil samples. We're hoping to do the same for some food quality measures, but that's yet TBD. I'd love to get your thoughts on additional equipment we could include, and see if there's ways to work together on future projects.

3. We're doing an increasing amount of consulting, and I'd love to have someone to call when we need help, especially someone who's committed to open values as you guys are.

4. Ok last one I promise. I live in Michigan, only an hour from lead contamination central. Have you talked to anyone in or around Flint who could actually try to use this in homes as a first pass quality standard. While 15 is the standard, 10% of homes in flint were above 148ppb... which is well within your existing spec. Just curious to know if/what you've done so far.

Anyway, ping me and let's connect.

Greg

• Hi Greg,
    Thank you for your kind words about our work and for reaching out ! We will definitely take a look at the openhardware.science website, thanks. Your work sounds very cool, and we would love to chat further. We sent you a message on here so look for that and hopefully we can connect and chat soon !
    Best,
    Jo